Today I was quoted in an article published in the Orange County register titled “”Discovery Not A Cure AIDS Experts Caution”. This article was related to an oral abstract that came at CROI 2013 (Conference on Retroviruses and Opportunistic Infections” in Atlanta Georgia this past Sunday where US researchers reported on a “functional Cure” for an infant born with HIV.
The heat against Anthem Blue Cross requiring that HIV infected members obtain their prescriptions through their mail order pharmacy, Curascript have ramped up with a Lawsuit being filed for discrimination and massive press coverage and petitions against Blue Cross
Anthem Blue Cross is forcing HIV patients to use their mail order pharmacy, Curascript that is owned by the giant PBM (Prescription Benefit Manager) Express Scripts, which will severely compromise the care of these patients. Community HIV specialty pharmacies have been providing excellent care to HIV patients for thirty years and manage the patients drug therapies avoiding potentially fatal drug-drug interactions, help patients with adherence ensuring that patients take their medication every day so the patient does not develop resistance to HIV medications, and also provide education on an array of other issues critical for an HIV patients quality of life and well being, such as linkage to other services within their community. Patients have forged relationships with their HIV pharmacist, whom they know, like and trust and who have become crucial healthcare providers on the HIV patients care team.
Continue reading “Anthem Blue Cross Extends Mandatory Mail Order Date” »
The bill was passed unanimously by the Senate and House of representatives in October and was signed by governor Corbett on November 1st, 2012. The law will go into effect March 1, 2013.
The Pennsylvania law will allow patients to have a choice as to which pharmacy they use, and not be forced into mandatory mail order and victimized by their health insurance companies.
As a pharmacist and business owner you struggle to stem the continual tide and barrage of greed and power from Insurance companies and PBM’s (prescription benefit managers) and mandatory mail order mandates being forced onto your patients, all under the guise of a massive lie- “It’s cheaper and lowers healthcare costs”. Many of your patients are not coerced by this big lie, they are wise and realize that their health depends on the great relationships and care that they receive form their local pharmacist- you-! The Insurance companies and PBM’s penalize the patient, with higher copayments, and you, with lower reimbursement, dramatically shrinking the margins in your pharmacy.
Continue reading “Jump Start Your HIV Pharmacy Business” »
As a past President of The Orange County Pharmacists Association and interacting with pharmacists especially Independent Pharmacists and Pharmacy Owners, I have come to recognize a glaring theme over the years!
The theme is that that Independent Pharmacist or pharmacy owner feel like they are stranded on a desert island and all alone. When something is wrong with policies, pharmacy laws, third party payors and other mandates, many of the pharmacists say the same thing – “I am only one voice, my voice does not matter, nobody listens”. Many think there is nothing that can be done.
Are you a Pharmacy owner looking to Grow your pharmacy business and looking for a Expert Pharmacy Management Consultant to guide you in creating or growing an HIV specialty niche? MichRx Consulting has been working with independent pharmacy owners for over 20 years coaching and consulting them about the HIV Specialty niche, educating them and their staff about HIV medications and proven effective Marketing strategies to build a solid customer base, that continues to grow year over year.
As a Pharmacy Services expert, Michelle Sherman has helped pharmacists grow their online presence, establish a specialized HIV pharmacy, and grow profits exponentially. As it becomes more and more important for pharmacy owners to establish a specialized niche and “Thinking Outside the Pill Bottle”, it’s important to go about the process the right way with the guidance of an experienced pharmacy services consultant. Focus your marketing & online efforts to grow your HIV Pharmacy Business, and create the business and lifestyle for your family that you have only dreamed of, all the while being of service to your community and giving back!
Listen to the Pharmacy Podcast right here
Visit PharmacyPodcast.com to listen to ALL Episodes
“Simple can be harder than complex: You have to work hard to get your thinking clean to make it simple. But it’s worth it in the end because once you get there, you can move mountains.” – Steve Jobs
No matter how you slice or dice it, there are only 24 hours in the day. We all know it, yet for some reason we try to manage them as if they were, well, manageable. You try organizing your time through checklists and meetings. But meetings just take up more time and while checklists may provide some satisfaction, usually all they do is serve as a reminder of all the things you did not get done. Forget about moving mountains, you feel accomplished to just move a mole hill. You are in luck though— there is hope! It’s just a matter of shifting your mindset from trying to manage your time to managing your attention and focusing on the simple rather than the complex.
All you need is a little help from Dwight D. Eisenhower. You may know that Eisenhower served as our 34th President of the United States from 1953 until 1961; before his days in the White House, he served as the Supreme Allied Commander in Europe during World War II. What you may not know is that during his time in Europe he used what is now referred to as the Eisenhower Method for completing tasks.
Continue reading “You Can’t Manage Time BUT You Can manage What You Do With Your Time” »
How is your Independent Pharmacy Business dealing with the mail order pharmacy onslaught?
Here are 11 steps to overcome mandatory mail order in your pharmacy business
- Advocate on behalf of your patients. Contact their insurance companies for them and make your case why mandatory mail order will be detrimental to your patient. Ask Insurance companies to allow an exemption from the mandatory mail order clause.
- Assist your patients when they call their insurance companies and ask for the exemption in the mandatory mail order clause.
- Encourage your patients to call, email and phone their local, state and federal legislators requesting a choice for their prescription delivery. Encourage patients to post on legislators blogs and social media platforms such as Facebook, Twitter and YouTube.
- Become active in your local and state pharmacy associations and support their efforts to overcome mandatory mail order. Success is already happening in New York and Oklahoma and other states will follow.
- Start a petition on Change.org
- Support and be vocal in national organizations such as APhA and NCPA
- Use your pharmacy’s social media platforms such as Facebook, Twitter and YouTube to get the message out to your followers and to gain support and spread the word.
- Educate your patients and inform them of the value you bring to their health (they probably know this already) but reinforce it in their minds
- Educate your patients on the realities of mail order pharmacies such as when the CEO of Express Scripts (not a pharmacist) looks at their lives as a commodity and completely discounts the value of the pharmacist by saying “At the end of the day … Nexium is Nexium, Lipitor is Lipitor, drugs are drugs, and it shouldn’t matter that much who’s counting to 30,” Comments and attitudes like this can only cripple the healthcare system further and escalate costs.
- Contact local media in your area to do a story on mandatory mail order and interview you and highlight your pharmacy.
- NEVER GIVE UP!